Why is My Onn Roku TV Screen Black?
Hey there! Have you ever had a problem with your Onn Roku TV where the screen goes black, or it flickers all the time? Well, you’re not alone because this happens to lots of people around the world. Sometimes, the screen just goes black, and there’s no sound. Other times, you can hear the sound, but there’s nothing on the screen. It’s like your TV is playing hide and seek with you!
You know, the TV screen is one of the most important parts of a smart TV, and when it acts up, it can be pretty scary. But don’t worry, we’re here to help you understand why this happens and how to fix it at home.
How to Fix the Black Screen on Your Onn Roku TV
So, let’s talk about how to make your TV screen go back to normal when it’s playing tricks on you.
Step 1: Power Cycle Your TV
The first thing to try is something called “power cycling” or a “soft reset.” It’s like giving your TV a little nap. Here’s what you do:
- Unplug your TV from the wall.
- Now, hold down the power button on your TV for about 30 to 45 seconds. Imagine you’re telling your TV to take a nice, long rest.
- Wait for another 30 seconds.
- Plug your TV back in.
- Turn it on and see if the screen is back to normal.
Power cycling might sound fancy, but it’s a simple way to fix many problems with Onn Roku TVs. It’s like when your computer acts weird, and you restart it to make it behave again. Plus, you won’t lose any of your TV settings or get logged out from Roku.
If the screen is still black, don’t worry; we have more tricks up our sleeves!
What Causes the Black Screen?
Now, let’s talk about why your TV screen decides to go black in the first place. It could be something simple, like a little hiccup in the TV’s software, or it might be something more serious, like a problem with the TV’s display.
Is Your TV Really Getting Power?
Hey there! So, before we dive into fixing that black screen on your Onn Roku TV, let’s make sure it’s getting the power it needs.
1. Check the Power Cord
First things first, take a look at the power cord. Is it plugged in properly? Sometimes, if the cord is loose or damaged, your TV won’t turn on, and you’ll be stuck with a black screen.
Unplug the power cord and plug it back in firmly. Make sure it’s snug in the power port. Give it a little push to be sure.
2. Try a Different Outlet
If your TV still won’t turn on after checking the power cord, it’s time to play detective with your wall outlet. Maybe the outlet isn’t working.
Try this: unplug the power cord from your TV and plug it into a different wall outlet. See if your TV comes to life.
And if you’re using an extension cord to power your TV, well, let’s skip the extension cord this time. Plug the power cord directly into a wall outlet and see if that does the trick.
3. Dust Bunnies in the Power Port?
Sometimes, dust and dirt can hang out in the power port of your TV, causing trouble. If you suspect this might be the case, use a lint-free cloth and a toothpick (be gentle!) to clean out the power port. Then, plug the power cord back in and see if it works.
Check the HDMI Cable and Port
Now, if your TV is getting power but the screen is still black, it’s time to check the HDMI cable.
1. Examine the HDMI Cable
If you’re using an HDMI cable to connect your Onn smart TV to a Roku device, take a close look at that cable. Sometimes, if it’s bent or damaged, it won’t work properly.
2. Test Different HDMI Ports
Your TV probably has more than one HDMI port. If one of them seems to be acting up, try this: unplug the HDMI cable from the current port and plug it into a different one. Sometimes, the ports can go a little wonky.
Oh, and don’t forget to choose the right input source on your TV so it knows where to look for the video. That’s important too!
Clear Out Roku TV’s Brain (Cache)
Now, here’s a cool trick to clear out any gunk that might be making your TV act up.
1. Grab Your Roku TV Remote
Got your remote handy? Good! Now, here’s a button sequence to press:
- Press the “Home” button up at the top-right corner of the remote five times.
- Then, press the “Up” arrow button once.
- After that, press the “Rewind” button (it’s on the left side of the play/pause button) twice.
- Finally, hit the “Fast Forward” button (that’s on the right side of the play/pause button) twice.
When you press all these buttons, your Roku will start clearing out its memory (the cache). It’ll take a few seconds, and during that time, your TV won’t respond. But don’t worry, it’s just doing some digital housekeeping.
How to Change Your Roku TV Remote Battery
Hey there! Is your Roku remote not turning on your TV? Well, the problem might just be as simple as changing the remote’s battery. Let’s give it a try!
1. Get Some AAA Batteries
First, you’ll need two AAA batteries that are compatible with your Roku remote. Make sure they’re fresh and ready to power up your remote.
2. Open the Battery Compartment
Flip your Roku remote over and take a look at the back. You’ll see a back panel that you can slide open. Go ahead and slide it open to reveal the battery compartment.
3. Out with the Old, In with the New
Carefully remove the old batteries that are inside your remote. They’ve done their job, and now it’s time for them to retire.
4. Pop in the Fresh Batteries
Now, place the new batteries in the same positions where the old ones were. Make sure they go in the right way (there’s usually a little diagram inside to help you). Give them a nice, firm press to lock them in place.
5. Close Up the Remote
With the new batteries securely in place, close the black panel on the back of your remote.
6. Test It Out
Now, try using your remote to turn on your Onn Roku TV. If the batteries were the problem, your TV should spring to life!
Resetting the Remote
But wait, what if the remote still isn’t working even with fresh batteries? Don’t worry; we’ve got another trick up our sleeve.
1. Take Out the Batteries Again
First, remove the batteries from the remote.
2. Press and Hold the Power Button
Now, press and hold the power button on the remote for about 30 to 45 seconds. It’s like giving the remote a little power nap.
3. Put the Batteries Back In
After that power-button hold, put the batteries back into the remote.
4. Give It Another Shot
Now, try using your remote again. Sometimes, a little reset like this can wake up a stubborn remote.
Unsticking Stuck Buttons
And finally, if some of the buttons on your Roku TV remote seem stuck, that can mess things up too. Let’s unstick them!
1. Get Ready to Button Smash
All you need to do is gently tap or press all the buttons on the remote a few times. This can help unstick any stubborn buttons and make them pop back to life.
2. Repeat if Needed
You might need to do this a few times, especially if more than one button seems stuck.
3. Try Your Remote Again
Now, try using your Roku remote to turn on your TV. It should work like a charm!
Updating Your Onn Roku TV for a Fresh Start
Hey, do you have an Onn Roku TV with a black screen or annoying glitches? It might be because your TV’s operating system (OS) is a bit outdated or has some bugs. No worries, we can fix that!
Step 1: Keep Your TV Software Fresh
Just like your phone or computer, your TV needs updates too. It’s a good idea to check for updates every now and then. Here’s how:
- Grab your TV remote and press the “Home” button.
- Scroll down and find “Settings.”
- Select “System.”
- Then, choose “System Update.”
- Now, hit “Check Now” to see if there’s a new update available.
If there is an update, go ahead and download and install it. Your TV might restart a few times during this process, so be patient. Make sure you have a stable internet connection, and don’t turn off your TV while it’s updating.
Step 2: Factory Reset (If Needed)
If your TV is still giving you a hard time with the black screen or glitches, it’s time to give it a fresh start. Keep in mind that this will erase all your settings, accounts, and custom stuff. Your TV will be like new again, so you’ll need to sign in to your Roku account and other apps after this.
There are two ways to factory reset your Onn Roku TV:
Option 1: Factory Reset from Settings
Use this if your TV can still display content for a few minutes, even if it’s flickering. Here’s how:
- Press the “Home” button on your Roku TV remote.
- Scroll down and select “Settings.”
- Go to “System.”
- Choose “Advanced system settings.”
- Now, select “Factory reset.”
- Then, pick “Factory reset everything.”
- You’ll need to enter a code to confirm the reset and erase everything. Enter the code and press OK.
- Wait a few minutes for the reset to complete.
Option 2: Factory Reset Using the Reset Button
This is the way to go if your TV won’t show anything on the screen. You’ll use a physical reset button on the back of your TV. Here’s how:
- Find the reset button on your Onn Roku TV. It’s usually on the back, towards one of the sides.
- Once you locate it, press and hold it for about 10 to 15 seconds while the TV is powered on.
- You can use a small, pointed pin to press the reset button.
- Your TV will restart during this process; keep holding the reset button until you see the Onn Roku TV logo.
- Your TV will reboot a few times, but it shouldn’t take more than five minutes.
- Once it’s done, your TV will take you through the setup process again. Choose your language and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
Getting Help from Onn Roku Support
Hey there, if you’ve tried all the steps we’ve talked about, but your TV still won’t show anything on the screen, it’s time to get some expert help from Onn Roku support.
If your TV is still under warranty, you might be in luck. You could get it repaired or even replaced for free! But if your TV’s warranty has expired, you’ll have to cover the repair costs.
Contact Onn Roku Support
To reach out to Onn Roku support, you can use these options:
- Phone: Call them at 844-334-2355. They’re available Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 9 PM CT.
- Email: You can also shoot them an email at [email protected].
Dealing with a Black Screen But You Still Have Sound?
Now, if your Onn Roku TV is playing sound, but the screen remains stubbornly black, it might be an issue with your internet connection. Here’s how to troubleshoot it:
1. Check Your Internet
Your TV needs a good internet connection to stream content. If your TV screen goes black when you try to stream something, your internet might be too slow or having some problems.
Let’s see if your internet is up to snuff:
- Press the “Home” button on your Roku TV remote.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Head to “Network.”
- Select “About.”
Now, check if the status says ‘Connected.’ If it does, your Onn Roku TV is connected to the internet. Good job!
Next, look at the Signal strength and Internet download speed. Signal strength might be indicated as ‘poor,’ ‘good,’ or ‘excellent.’
If it’s ‘good’ or ‘excellent,’ your network is doing just fine. But if it’s ‘poor,’ that’s where the trouble might be.
2. Troubleshoot Your Network
Here’s what you can do if your signal strength is ‘poor’:
- Select the “Check Connection” option.
- Wait for a bit while it checks the connection.
- It’ll give you the results. If it’s unsuccessful, that means there’s an issue with your internet.
Here’s what you can try:
- Restart the Router: Unplug your router for a few seconds, then plug it back in. Wait for it to reconnect.
- Move the Router Closer: If the signal is weak, it might be because your router is too far from the TV. Try moving them closer.
- Wired Connection: To rule out WiFi issues, connect an Ethernet cable directly to your Onn Roku TV. See if you can access the internet this way.
- Switch Networks: If you have a dual-band WiFi router (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), try connecting to the 5 GHz network instead of the 2.4 GHz one.
Resetting Your Picture Settings
Hey there! If the content on your Onn Roku TV looks too dark or not quite right, it might be because your picture settings need a little reset. Let’s get that screen looking good again:
1. Press the “Home” Button
Grab your Roku TV remote and press the “Home” button.
2. Go to “Settings”
Scroll down and find “Settings” on the menu.
3. Select “System”
Inside the Settings, choose “System.”
4. Find “Advanced System Settings”
You’re almost there! Now, select “Advanced system settings.”
5. Time to Reset
Look for “Factory reset” and choose it.
6. Reset TV Audio/Picture Settings
Select “Reset TV audio/picture settings.”
7. Confirm the Reset
You’ll need to confirm this. So, press the play/pause button three times in a row. This is like saying, “Yes, I want to reset the picture settings.”
And that’s it! Your Roku TV’s picture settings will go back to the way they were when you first got the TV.
Now, if your Onn Roku TV screen goes black only when you’re using specific apps like Netflix or YouTube, we can try something else. Let’s uninstall and reinstall those apps:
1. Go to “Streaming Channel”
From your home screen, click on “Streaming Channel.”
2. Pick the Channel to Reinstall
Find the particular channel you want to reinstall.
3. Press the Star (*) Button
Highlight the channel, then press the star (*) button on your Roku remote.
4. Remove the Channel
A list of options will appear. Choose “Remove channel.”
5. Confirm Removal
Select “Remove” again to confirm that you want to delete the channel.
6. Restart Roku
After deleting the channel, restart your Roku.
7. Add the Channel Back
Press the “Home” button on your Roku remote again and go to the “Streaming Channels” section.
8. Search for the Channel
Use the “Search Channel” option to find the channel you want to install.
9. Add the Channel
Once you find it, click the “Add channel” button to reinstall it.
Now, open the channel and see if everything is working smoothly.
What to Do Next
A simple reset of your picture settings and reinstalling channels should solve most issues with your Onn Roku TV screen. But if nothing seems to work, don’t worry! You can always reach out to Onn Roku support. If your TV is still under warranty, they might even fix it for free. They’re there to help you get back to enjoying your TV.